Madalene outreach is under the guidance of our Social Concerns committee members who strive to raise awareness of issues of moral concern, justice and peace as they relate to our parish, community, state, country and the world. They identify and assist wherever a need exists. Meetings are typically held monthly on the Third Wednesday at 1:00 pm in the Library. Decisions are made for the allocation of the monies received from the monthly Social Concerns offering (gold envelope in your monthly collection packet) as well as ways to benefit the community. Special events are held from time to time to meet specific needs.
For more information, please contact Patricia Seibert at 918-747-4202.
A Brief history of the Social Concerns Committee, Church of the Madalene
December 1, 2020 - Prepared by Christina Morton, Secretary/ Treasurer & Patricia Seibert, Chair
Social Concerns began in the summer of 1988 at the direction of Madalene’s Pastor, Msgr. Cecil Finn. He had $2500 in funds which he wanted to use to help those in need. He invited a group of Madalene parishioners to form a committee to promote Spiritual and Corporal works of mercy in the community. The group decided on a name for the committee: Social Concerns Committee.
Through the years, the committee has participated in and accomplished many good works.
Here are some:
· From the beginning the committee provided a monthly meal for the Tulsa Day Center for the Homeless and continues to do so through 2020-2021.
· The committee renovated and furnished an apartment at St. Elizabeth's Lodge. The work included plumbing, painting, refinishing of floors and cabinets and completely furnishing the apartment for a needy family.
· For fourteen years Madalene's Social Concerns sponsored a Christmas for Kids program for the children in Idabel, OK which expanded to include children in other areas of McCurtain County. In one of it’s busiest Christmas seasons, Madalene provided gifts to 395 children in and around Idabel.
· The Department of Human Services of McCurtain Co. assumed the role of assistance at Christmas in 2011. The Committee took the opportunity to continue the same program to provide Christmas gifts for children in the mission parishes of Stilwell and Heavener, OK, in December 2011. This project continues, the recipients of gifts in 2020 will be Sacred Heart Church, Heavener and the CALMCenter of Counseling and Recovery Services of Oklahoma.
· Various special collections and fund-raising events were held through the years to provide for the needs of infants at Madonna House, Catholic Charities food drives, school supplies, BUS (blankets, underwear and socks) projects.
· In the early 1990's funds were raised to build and furnish a classroom in Guatemala. Funds were also raised to help build three tsunami safe homes in Sri Lanka.
· The group has provided information on Catholic teaching regarding social justice and political issues, held seminars and had guest speakers. In 2010 Social Concerns sponsored a Forum on Crime and Criminal Justice.
· In 2014, Fr. Bryan Brooks, the Pastor, asked the committee to develop guidelines and implement a program to provide direct financial assistance to those in need. The Emergency Aid Program was started that year. Since it then, the Committee has provided volunteers to staff, evaluate and disperse funds. In the six fiscal years we have provided over $82,000 in direct financial aid to individuals.
The Committee sponsors Madalene’s annual "Outreach Day". The Committee also supports many organizations, these include; Birthright, GoLife Mobile Medical, Emergency Infant Services, Clarehouse, Porta Caeli House, Mental Health Association of Oklahoma, Dayspring Villa, Domestic Violence Intervention Services, The University of Tulsa Newman Center, Project Elf, Meals on Wheels, Second Chance Prison Education program of TCC, Neighbor For Neighbor, A New Leaf, In His Image, Good Samaritan Health Services, and so many others.
Our fiscal year-end reports are published annually in the Madalene Bulletin, where you may find a complete list of all the financial details, and the charitable works we have accomplished that year through the generous support of Madalene parishioners.
Meetings of the Social Concerns Committee are held on the third Wednesday of every month, at 1:00PM in the Library. Currently, due to the ongoing Pandemic, meetings and Emergency Aid are suspended indefinitely. But much work goes on, however and where we are able.
Membership in the group is open to any Madalene parishioner. For more information, please contact Patricia Seibert at 918-747-4202.